Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Socialization redefined

Earlier I posted about the importance of socializing your puppy and young dog.  

Now I would like to share an excellent premise about socialization from Ed Frawley at the Leerburg Kennels.  It was presented in the video "Your Puppy 8 weeks to 8 months."  Although I don't necessarily agree every Leerburg method is perfect for every dog and handler, I do believe there is plenty of sound advice from them.

From the article:  

Our definition of socialization is to get our dogs comfortable with new places and circumstances. We want our dogs to be indifferent to people places and things. I want my dog to look at strangers as part of the environment and something to ignore not something to interact with.
When we take our dog into strange new environments we want our dogs to willingly look to use for leadership and direction.


The full article can be found at:  http://leerburg.com/socializepuppies.htm

No comments: